Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Jesus Teaches a Lesson in Sacrifice

In the last post, we saw how Jesus, though himself in indescribable pain, cared about the well-being of others, including those who were not even related to him. His attitude teaches us a lesson or two for our personal and professional lives. In this post, we will just look at one example each for both aspects of our lives.

Personal Life

Parents are the best examples of how to live for others the way Jesus did. I did not realise this until: a) I became Papa; and b) I recognised my Heavenly Father's love for me expressed through the sacrifice of Jesus.

Now every night, when I sacrifice my sleep to put my son to sleep, I know Jesus did so much more for me and my son both. Or when only a sip of water is left in the bottle and we're in the car, I let my son have it all...That quenches my heart's thirst. These are some simple ways I relate to Jesus' sacrifice. O how the Blood of Jesus meets the need of my spirit to be cleansed in order to be more 'Christ-like'! Who else could be so selfless? None, but Jesus Christ.

Professional Life

When I was a team coach in a call centre, I had one girl in my team who was on the verge of fainting. I left my workstation and got some biscuits for her and made an electrolyte solution for her. I gave her the prescribed tablet and covered her with a blanket in the 'relax room'. When our team leader was away, I had my coffee at my desk rather than in the cafeteria, so I could be around when my team needed me. Yet, in my appraisal a team member said that I was never found at my desk when help was required. Another member said I was always at my desk and never moved around to offer help!

I know that I sacrificed in order to make someone's job easier. What I got in return was brickbats. But then Jesus said, "‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you." (John 15:20) This key verse has motivated me to never stop doing the right thing even when situations and people are not in my favour.

The key is to abide in God's Word - the Bible; because job situations will keep changing, personal problems too may show a new face every time, "Heaven and earth will pass away..." but God's Word shall not pass away! (Matthew 24:35) It is forever settled in Heaven. (Ps. 119: 89)


Get your portion of God's Word. Purchase a Bible from Christianbook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment